ERRA: meeting of sector regulators from Europe, Asia and Africa in Warsaw
The President of URE is hosting in Warsaw the representatives of regulators from three continents. The Polish regulator, as a member of ERRA, is actively involved in the organisation’s activities.
On 27-28 April 2023, nearly 100 representatives of regulators from three continents – Europe, Asia and Africa – met at ERRA’s annual General Assembly to take important decisions for the Association and its members, on the functioning of the organisation. The event was coupled with meetings of the experts involved with the following committees:
- Electricity Markets and Economic Regulation Committee, EMER COM,
- Natural Gas Markets and Economic Regulation Committee, NG COM,
- Renewable Energy Committee (RE COM).
Rafał Gawin, President of the Energy Regulatory Office welcomed the guests as a co-host of the meeting.
- It is my great pleasure to welcome you to Warsaw. I am delighted that this is yet another ERRA event organised in Poland. We are all very well aware that this is not an easy time for the energy sector regulator. We are going through turbulent changes related, among other things, to historically unprecedented global energy transition. We represent different parts of the world, so we also have our own challenges to overcome on a regional or local level. But despite some differences, we have much more in common – our common goals, which I believe are not limited to Europe. They are global in nature. It is therefore essential that regulators work together to ensure that energy markets are effective and competitive, that consumers have access to energy and are adequately protected. ERRA has always been a unique platform bringing regulators together and providing an opportunity to share experiences and look at energy regulation from a broad perspective.
Poland is hosting ERRA for the fourth time. In 2009, the ERRA Energy Investment and Regulation conference was held in Warsaw, in 2012 a meeting was held in Gdansk, and in 2016 in Warsaw and Poznan.
- Energy Regulators Regional Association (ERRA) is a not-for-profit regional association of regulators from Central and Eastern European countries and the Asia, Africa, Middle East and US region.
- The common objective of ERRA’s members is to improve regulatory instruments, balance the interests of energy companies and energy consumers, empower regulators and strengthen their independence vis-à-vis other government institutions.